Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pinwheel, Pinwheel Spinning Around

Do y'all remember that show Pinwheel that used to air on Nickelodeon back in the day?? That was one of my absolute FAVORITE 80's shows. This recipe has NOTHING to do with that show other than having the word "pinwheel" in it's name. Every time I hear that word, it takes me back to that dang show!! Anyway, these pinwheels are pretty much amazing in every sense of the word...especially if you like savory foods as much as I do!!

CHEESY SAUSAGE PINWHEELS

1 roll of sausage {I used Jimmy Dean, HOT}

1/4 cup shredded asiago cheese

1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

1/4 tsp. dried thyme

1 egg, beaten

1 can crescent rolls {I used Pillsbury, original crescents}

 

Now, pretty much anything that comes in crescent form is a winner in my book and this one is no exception. Start by cooking your sausage until brown, then drain. In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Add sausage, asiago, mozzarella, and thyme. Mix well until combined.

sausagepinwheels1

Now here's where things can get a little shady. I'm not gonna lie to you. I had one heckuva time putting these together. I let my crescents sit out too dang long so they were all sticky and doughy by the time I had to work with them. Darnit. Place two crescents together to form a rectangle and press seams together so that they don't split apart....seal 'em up real good!

sausagepinwheels2

You should have 4 rectangles. Divide the sausage mixture & spread evenly among the 4 crescents. Make sure to leave a 1/4 inch edge on all four sides of the rectangle. You'll want to start with the shortest sides and roll each crescent jelly roll style, pinching the seams to seal. The original recipe said to cut each roll into 6 slices prior to baking. Ummmm...that was a giant disaster, so I stopped before I got too far. I baked 'em jelly roll style and it worked PERFECT.

Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until the crescents are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes. Once mine were cool enough, I cut each crescent into 6 slices. It worked perfect! infact, I'm pretty sure I'll do this same thing next time I make them!!!

sausagepinwheels3

These little pinwheels were a HIT!!!! Aside from my little episode of having to deal with sticky crescent dough, prepping this little number took NO time at all. They were insanely YUM and gone before I really got to dig in. I doubled the recipe to make two batches and had a little bit of filling leftover when it was all said and done. I sure ate that straight from the bowl. My thighs thanked me the next day. Another great party food I can't wait to make again!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Ah! I always try to remind my husband of that but I think he thinks all I did as a child was watch Nick. He looks at me like I've got 10 heads! LOL! These look great!

    Mrs. Wheeler
    www.mrswheelerfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! Here are some other healthy snacks that are pretty delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always roll out the entire package of crescent rolls, make one huge roll, put in refrigerator to firm up then slice and bake. These have different ingredients though, I will be trying this recipe. Looks great! Also you can make it night before, wrap up and leave in frig. Then all you have to do is slice and bake when needed.

    ReplyDelete