Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Feelin’ Hot, Hot, HOT!

It’s no secret that Mr. Spouse & I are big fans of any meal that brings the heat.  We like it spicy.  When I found this recipe on my sweet friend’s blog, I knew I hit the jackpot.  It was all that and a bag of spicy Dorito’s :)  If you’re feelin’ the need for a little spice in your life, add this recipe to your collection! 

CAJUN SHRIMP AND RICE

1 tbsp. butter

2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 tbsp. cajun seasoning {I used Tony Chachere’s}

1 lb. large shrimp, peeled & deveined {I used frozen…SO easy :)}

salt & pepper, to taste

4 plum tomatoes, chopped

2 bunches green onions, chopped

3 cups cooked white rice {I used 2 bags of boil in a bag rice}

 

Heat butter, garlic, & olive oil in a large skillet for about a minute or so.

cajunshrimprice1

Add cajun seasoning and shrimp.  Stir and cook until the shrimp start to curl up on ya…about a minute.  Now add the salt & pepper.

cajunshrimprice2

If you’re thinkin’ that the shrimp look like they’ve been bathed in cajun seasoning, you’re right.  I added quite a bit more than the recipe called for.  Bad idea.  While I like things on the hot side, I don’t particularly enjoy the immediate heartburn that ensues.  I’d recommend sticking to the measurements…or even scaling back…if you don’t want to eat your dinner with a bottle of TUMS as your side dish :)

Add tomatoes and green onions to the mix and stir.  Cook for another minute.

cajunshrimprice3

Add the rice & 1/4 cup of water. Cook until rice is heated through…about 3 more minutes.

cajunshrimprice4

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!  Speaking of lemons, if you’re so inclined, add a few slices to your dish for a yummy little kick.  Who doesn’t love a squeeze of lemon with their seafood?!?!

cajunshrimprice5

As you can see, it didn’t take any time and the outcome was SO yum!!   Of course, next time I’ll tone down the heat so I’m not sweating as I eat…that look is never attractive on anyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment