Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Christmas Eve Tradition

Since we spent Christmas Eve by ourselves this year, I decided to make a meal that I knew we’d be eating as “our” Christmas Eve meal for years to come.  One of Mr. Spouse’s favorite meals is pot roast and I typically only cook that on Easter.  The last pot roast I made was a little dry and not so flavorful, so when I found this recipe…boasted how flavor filled it was…I knew I had to give it a shot.  And let’s be real…how wrong can you really go with pot roast?!  Mr. Spouse was beside himself and said this was definitely something I need to make A LOT more!  YAY!  I guess this is one Christmas Eve tradition we’ll be happy to repeat year after year!
FLAVORFUL POT ROAST
2 boneless beef chuck roasts {2 1/2 lbs. each.  We only used 1}
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg. ranch salad dressing mix
1 pkg. Italian salad dressing mix
1 pkg. brown gravy mix
1/2 cup water
Optional
Carrots
Potatoes
Onion
In a large bowl, mix together soup, dressing mixes, gravy mix, and water until thoroughly blended & set aside.  Add chuck roasts to crock pot and pour the dressing/soup mix on top.  Set on low and cook for 7-8 hours.
Since we only used 1 chuck roast, I added 1 large onion {cut into big chunks} and baby carrots halfway through cook time.  I don’t like the veggies to be too smushy and halfway through cooking is perfect! 
potroast1
I definitely won’t wait ‘til Christmas to cook this again!!!  It’s just TOO good!  The meat was seriously falling apart with every poke of my fork.  SO dang tender!!  And the recipe wasn’t lying.  It was flavorful as all get out!  If you’re a fan of pot roast, you MUST try this variation.  AMAZING!!!!  A Christmas Eve tradition we can’t wait to continue!!!

5 comments:

  1. We eat pot roast quite often (it's super easy) but I am always looking for new ways to 'punch' it up a bit! Thanks for the new recipe....I'll be trying this next week when I go back to work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make a similar version that doesn't have the mushroom soup. It's my husband's favorite! I usually use 1/2 of the packet mixes to make it less salty. Or I leave out a packet (when I forget to buy more haha) and it still turns out yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying this recipe today. It's in the crock pot right now and just started to smell DE LICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what can you use instead of mushrooom soup?

    ReplyDelete