Monday, January 3, 2011

Christmas is Cheesy

SO hope that didn’t offend any of my Christmas lovin’ friends :)  Of course, you know I don’t really feel that way!  I LOVE all the Christmas fun & festivities!  I’m especially a fan of Christmas Even dinner :)  For the last 6 years, I’ve celebrated with Mr. Spouse’s family up north and every Christmas Eve we dine on a huge buffet of the most delicious appetizers and finger foods.  Well, this year we spent Christmas Eve all by ourselves and I refused to order take-out {even though that’s what I REALLY wanted to do :)}  Instead I decided to whip up a meal I knew we’d be happy to say, “We eat that EVERY Christmas Eve!!”  This is one of Mr. Spouse’s FAVORITE dishes.  I still think his mom is the master at making these, but I gotta say that my recreation wasn’t too far off.  I’ll put it this way…Mr. Spouse licked his plate clean and then went back for more :) 

RITA’S CHEESY MASHED POTATOES

4-5 large potatoes

1 {8 oz.} pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup & Dip Mix {Recipe Secrets}

1 1/2-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Milk, to taste

Peel potatoes and boil.  Remove when potatoes are super soft and ready to be mashed.  I like to cut my potatoes up in small chunks so they cook faster when they’re boiling.  Transfer to a large bowl, mash, and add cream cheese & onion soup mix.

cheesypotatoes1

Mix with blender until well blended.  The consistency will be pretty thick.  If that’s how you like your potatoes, stop there!  We like ‘em a little smoother, so I added some milk and mixed.  Then I added a little more and mixed again.  When they were finally a consistency that made me happy, I stopped :)

cheesypotatoes2

Transfer potatoes to a 2qt. baking dish and add cheese.  Mix until well blended and cook on 350 for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

cheesypotatoes3

Like I said, this is one of Mr. Spouses favorite dishes. I usually make these for him on his birthday because he likes ‘em so dang much.  I LOVE potatoes and this variation makes my potato lovin’ heart swell. 

cheesypotatoes4

2 comments:

  1. YUM! This recipe sounds super delish! I'll be trying this in the near future!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying this dish tonight! Looks yummo! Looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete