Monday, January 31, 2011

Brace Yourself for the Winter Blast

For those of us living in Texas who were completely SPOILED by last weekend’s BEAUTIFUL, spring-like weather, it’s time to brace ourselves for the “winter blast” that’s about to hit.  Since I speak meteorologist, I can tell you that probably means freezing temps and a flurry or two.  Whatever the case, if it’s gonna be cold I know I’m gonna need something to keep me warm and this soup seriously does the trick!!  One of the sweet girls on my team made this for us a couple of weeks ago and I HAD to have the recipe.  It seriously tastes like restaurant soup.  Yep…it’s THAT yum.  And the fact that it calls for 3 tablespoons of tequila makes it that much yummier :)

HEARTY CHICKEN TEQUILA SOUP

1 small onion, cut into 8 wedges

1 cup frozen corn, thawed

2 cans {14 oz.} Rotel

2 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 lbs. chicken breasts

2 cups chicken broth

3 tbsp. tequila, optional {I didn’t use any!!!!}

1/4 cup sour cream

This seriously might be one of the simplest, tastiest soups EVER.  For real.  If the tequila is scarin’ you, don’t let it.  Just leave it out!!  We didn’t have any so I didn’t use it and it was still DELICIOUS.

chickentortillasoup1

Cut onions into large wedges and spread on the bottom of a crock pot.

chickentortillasoup2

Add corn, tomatoes, and garlic.  Mix well to combine and place chicken on top of tomato mixture.  Pour broth over chicken & tomato mix. {If you’re adding the tequila, mix tequila & broth together and pour over chicken}  Cover with a lid and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  Remove chicken and transfer to a cutting board to shred.  Return to crock pot and stir. 

I forgot to start the crock pot before I left for work, so I waited to do everything stovetop style and it was still amazing!!  I let it simmer for about an hour/hour & a half before serving. 

Serve with a dollop of sour cream, avocado, cheese, or whatever else tickles your fancy!

chickentortillasoup3

Mr. Spouse was a BIG fan of this little concoction.  He said it needs to make another appearance at the dinner table again VERY soon!!  No complaints there…I’m MORE than happy to oblige :)

chickentortillasoup4

9 comments:

  1. Love this...this is similar to the concoction I make. I add drained/rinsed black beans because we love them at our house. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy and the best thing is, I have all the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make be the funniest gal in town! :) "...since I speak meteorologist." I am laughing out loud. Can't wait to try this recipe - sounds yum scrum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look yum, but be honest which is your fav. this or the chicken tortilla soup you make? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Your recipes look sooooo good. I can't wait to try this one. :) It's super cold and snowy here so it will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. am I missing it or does it not tell you how much cheese to add to the potato soup?

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks so yummy. I think I will try it tonight. thanks for sharing!

    new follower!
    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this! mmmmmmmmmmmm good! (I added hominy and cooked the chicken first with my fave seasoning, then chopped it up and threw it in the pot). AND I cooked it all on top of the stove. QUICK dinner. And I saved it to Pinterest....thank you!

    ReplyDelete