Monday, December 6, 2010

New Life for Old Furniture

When my grandma passed away, I inherited some of her furniture.  I was thrilled to have little pieces here and there to remind me of grandma.  Especially her dining room table & chairs and matching buffet.  Grandma LOVED to entertain and I’ve always LOVED her dining room duds, so I was really excited to get these!  Grandma had the best eye for detail and she had such good taste in home décor and furniture.  The buffet was one of my favorite things in her house.  As much as I loved it though, I wasn’t too keen on the color…especially in our dining room…so I knew a facelift was in order.

Isn’t it pretty?!  My grandma was such a hoot.  She painted the orange/rust detailing to match her dining room chairs. 

buffet1buffet2

This fabric was the source of my inspiration.  The valance & window seat are covered in it so I wanted something to match.

buffet14

I primed it first…inside & out.

buffet3

Then I gave it a couple of coats of Valspar Olive Sawdust.  Now this isn’t a color I’d normally choose, but I LOVED it and I’m SO in need of something different! 

buffet10

I pretty much loved it, but it was in need of distressing.  So I covered it in my favorite Valspar Antiquing Glaze a little at a time and when it was all said and done, this is what I came up with…

buffet11

I don’t love it…I LURVE it!!!!!  Absolutely ADORE!!!!!  Kinda gorg, dont'cha think?!?!

buffet12buffet13

                           BEFORE                      AFTER

buffet1buffet11

LOVE! 

While I was at it, I recovered Grandma’s chairs as well.  I LOVE the chairs, but the fabric was old and needed to go.

buffet4buffet5buffet6

By a pure stroke of rare luck, I found the fabric at JoAnn’s for only $7 a yard!!  It was half off!  LOVE that!  The whole project cost me a total of $21…with lots of fabric leftover {I stink at guesstimating measurements!!!}

buffet7

buffet8

The before & after…

buffet9

A little time consuming and painstaking, but I’m so in love with my new look!  And I know grandma would’ve loved it, too!!!  The juice was totally worth the squeeze!

2 comments:

  1. You are so talented....I love the way you get a vision of what you want and make it happen and it always looks so GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with it. And, I spray painted a tiny little table once and I feel that it took FOREVER! So, I know it was a labor of love! Well done!

    ReplyDelete