Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Got Veggies?! And Chicken?!

I love finding random recipes…especially when they turn out delicious! This little number was surprisingly tasty. I was on the lookout for something a little lighter for dinner and when I found this recipe, I thought it would be perfect…and I was NOT disappointed! I love anything that can be served in a pita, but I’m thinkin’ this little concoction would be pretty good all alone or on top of a bed of baby spinach, too! If you decide to try this, let me know how you served it!!!

VEGGIE CHICKEN PITAS

1 medium red onion, sliced

1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped

1 cup julienned carrots {I bought a bag of pre-julienned carrots…one less step :)}

1/2 tsp. minced garlic {I used 1 tsp. chopped garlic in a jar}

2 tbsp. olive oil

1 cup cooked chicken, cubed {I think shredded rotisserie would work perfect!}

1 jar roasted red pepper, drained & chopped

1/2 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

1/4 cup chicken broth

1/3 cup shredded cheddar

1/3 cup shredded mozzarella

The brunt of the legwork for this meal will be chopping/slicing the veggies. I HIGHLY recommend buying the carrot strips in a bag. The convenience was totally worth the extra $.

VeggieChickenPita1

Saute onions, carrots, broccoli, & garlic in olive oil for about 4-5 minutes or until tender.

VeggieChickenPita3

Stir in {cooked} chicken, red peppers, chicken broth, oregano, and cayenne. Bring to a boil then reduce heat & simmer {uncovered} for about 5-6 minutes or until heated through.

VeggieChickenPita4

C’mon. Now tell me that doesn’t look absolutely DELICIOUS?!?!?! Once heated through, mix in mozzarella and cheddar. Mix thoroughly until veggie/chicken mix is evenly coated in gooey cheesiness :) Spoon the mixture into the pita and ENJOY!! I promise you will :)

VeggieChickenPita5

Seriously, y’all. Does that not look YUM?! IT IS!! You could also add a cup of fresh snow peas to the mix if you’re so inclined. We skipped that step because I’m not the biggest fan of peas. Boo. This little pita dish was FULL of flavor! And like I said before, the brunt of the legwork comes with chopping/slicing all the veggies. Of course, a little cook time is involved if you decided to boil & cube your own chicken, but I think that shredded rotisserie chicken would be just as good and require a lot less time!

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe! I made it last night and served it over romaine. Even my 12 month old loved it! Love your recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipee last night and it was a hit! Liked how it is light and healthy.

    ReplyDelete