Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fire Roasted Fabulousness

It’s no secret that I LOVE pasta.  Doesn’t matter how it’s served, I NEVER get tired of eating it!!!  I always try to have at least 1 pasta dinner a week because I LOVE eating the leftovers for lunch :)  Mr. Spouse said we should add this pasta dish to our list of favorites.  I totally agree!

BAKED ZITI WITH FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES

2 1/2 cups {8 oz} uncooked ziti

1 lb. Italian sausage {we used HOT!}

1 large yellow onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 medium zucchini, cubed

1 can {15 oz.} tomato sauce {we used Hunt’s}

1 can {14.5 oz.} fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained {we used Hunt’s}

2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves

1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

3/4 cup shredded mozzarella

Cook pasta.  Remove sausage from casing.  Brown meat, garlic, and onion until meat is cooked through and crumbly :)

fireroastedbakedziti1

Meanwhile, chop zucchini & oregano.

fireroastedbakedziti3 fireroastedbakedziti2

Once meat is cooked, stir in the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes.  Then toss in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Heat on medium high heat until boiling.

fireroastedbakedziti4

Drain the ziti and add it to the tomato/sausage mix.  Toss to coat and transfer to a 13x9 baking dish.  Sprinkle with mozzarella.  I know the recipe called for 3/4 cup, but we might have used A LOT more than that!!  Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 375.

fireroastedbakedziti5

FABULOUS my friends!!!  Flippin’ FABULOUS!!!!  Thanks to the hot sausage and fire roasted tomatoes, this dish definitely packs a little punch.  If you think this is something your kids will eat, tone it down & use mild sausage instead.  I’m sure it’ll be JUST as amazing!!  Next time, I’ll add MORE zucchini and I’m thinkin’ squash would be pretty dang good, too.  I’m just sayin’.

fireroastedbakedziti6

1 comment:

  1. Yum, we love pasta in this house too! Sometimes its the only thing I can get my little one to actually eat.

    ReplyDelete