Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Card Display

My favorite thing about the Christmas season is getting Christmas cards in the mail!  I LOVE it!!!  I seriously race to the mailbox every day during the month of December just dying to see the cuteness that awaits me. 

Last year I hung ribbon from my kitchen cabinets and attached the cards to the ribbon with clothespins.  I loved that idea, but I just wanted something a little different this year.  So I headed to the garage to see what we had available for me to use to whip something up. 

I found these…

shutters1

 

SCORE!!!!  LOVE.THEM.  I knew a couple of these shutters would be perfect for what I had in mind. So I took out my favorite spray paint…Rustoleum Colonial Red in satin finish…and got to work.

shutters1

Here’s what I did with them when they were all painted and ready to go…

shutters2

Do you love it?  I do!!!!!

shutters4 shutters3

shutters5

This is definitely something I’ll use again next year!!!

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I am a mailbox runner myself during Christmas (well, every day really!). I love this idea - so crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these turned out WAY cute, chick! genius idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have two old shutters in our house. how did you get the cards to stay put? mine fall through the holes. did you use tape or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. my favorite idea yet~ :) LOVE IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea...I would use them during the year with family pics...Merry Christmas!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok. SERIOUSLY. I thought I was creative, and now I'm pretty sure I'm not when there are people like you in the world.

    I stumbled across your blog today and am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Number One: Why haven't I visited before now? Number Two: I loved this when I saw it and I am going to definitely make some! Number Three: I can't beleive I waited to visit....:) Super cute Cara!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After researching this I have a few questions but noticed you haven't answered ?'s so hoping you see this.

    Are those regular shutters? They look small. Also, after researching the price of wooden shutters ($200+) I'm curious if you found a place that had them cheap or your hubby was mad to find two missing lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jennifer...I'm pretty sure these aren't regularly sized shutters. I found this WHOLE lot of shutters on Craigslist for $25!!! Such a steal! I priced the shutters at the stores before I found these and almost died....they were so expensive! Check Craigslist...you might luck out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE these too! I'm going to hit the Habitat Restore and get some shutters on my way home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just picked up some shutters at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore today!! Did you put something on the back to keep them from falling through??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea and I bought be some shutters the other day. Did you have to put anything on the back so the cards wouldn't slide through! I can't wait to paint mine. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had the same question about the back and the card falling through. I think if you glue paper or fabric on the back, nice an snug, it should work great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where did you find the shutters?

    ReplyDelete
  15. what did you do to keep the cards from falling?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hint! If you're having troubles with your photos/cards slipping out of the shutters...line the back of the shutters with fabric batting! It's just kinda sticky enough for the cards/photos to kinda stick in place!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm featuring this on my blog today. believingboldly.com

    ReplyDelete