Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Strawberry Shortcake

Have I ever told y'all that story about the time I ate a stranger's strawberry shortcake?
Well...he wasn't a total stranger.  He was my neighbor.  He lived in an apartment three floors below mine.  I didn't really know him...didn't really know his name I don't think...and he kind of creeped me out.   At the time my husband was my fiancee.  The guy creeped him out, too.

One night....right before our wedding...I was cleaning up and packing my apartment.  I left my door unlocked because my husband was going to stop by and help and he didn't have a key.  I was in my closet...biggest disaster ever...and I heard my door beep (you know that alarm sound that goes beep, beep, beep when a door opens).  SO I got up to say hello to my husband and lo and behold, it wasn't him.  It was the creepy neighbor from three floors down!!!!!!!!!

IN.MY.APARTMENT.

And I'll be danged if he didn't close the door behind him.
WTH?!?!?!

I panicked for a second because I was all, "Ummmm...why are you in my apartment?  With the door closed???"   I watched one too many Forensic Files episodes and watched way too many episodes of Oprah to be calm.  So...I pretended to be calm and walked right on over to the door while engaging him in conversation, and opened it up wide saying something like "I really need some air!  It gets so stuffy in here!"  I didn't want him to think I was nervous and make some crazy kind of move.  Then I proceeded to tell him my husband should be there any minute.  He wasn't expecting that.  

So he started to leave, but not before giving me a bowl of homemade strawberry shortcake.  I remembered telling him once in passing that it was my favorite dessert as I was carrying a take out box full of it on the way to my apartment.   I thanked him and took the bowl, then walked inside and dead-bolted the door locked.  Then I proceeded to eat the dang thing while I waited for my husband to get there!  He was SO mad at me for eating it!!!!  What if it was poisoned?!?!

  Y'all...that strawberry shortcake looked so good that the thought of contamination didn't even cross my mind.  I was SO unbelievably naive!!!  I was also 14 years younger.  I'd like to think I'm a lot less trusting and way more guarded and aware these days :)

All that to be said, everytime I make strawberry shortcake, it makes me think of that weird incident.  Needless to say, when I made this version a few weeks ago my husband and I had to reminisce.  
That bowl of shortcake I shouldn't have eaten all those years ago doesn't even begin to hold a candle to this delightful version.  

This dessert is light and fluffy and won't leave you feeling stuffed.  A perfect treat to indulge in after you're all done with dinner...or when you just want a little taste of sweet :)  This is, by far, one of my most favorite versions of my favorite dessert.

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE TRIFLE
1 pre-baked angel food cake , cubed
1 pint of fresh strawberries, sliced
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) french vanilla instant pudding (prepared)
2 (8 oz.) tubs of whipped topping



I absolutely love Kroger's pre-baked angel food cakes from the bakery section.  You can either buy one or make one yourself, but I'm all about #easy, so you can guess what I did.  

Cut or tear apart the angel food cake into small chunks/cubes and set aside.

Wash and slice your strawberries and set aside.

Prepare the pudding according to package directions and set aside in the fridge to set for about 5-10 minutes.  

Remove pudding from fridge and mix with 1 (80z.) tub of whipped topping and set aside.  I used Cool Whip.

Now let's layer.

Place half of the angel food cake cubes/chunks in the bottom of a trifle dish.  Top with half of the sliced strawberries and top that with half of the pudding/whipped topping mixture.  

Repeat the layering process.  Cake...strawberries...pudding/whipped topping.  

Top it all off with a generous helping of whipped topping.

TO DIE FOR!!!!


Seriously.  One of my favorite ways to have strawberry shortcake!  

A few things....

You could sub the angel food cake for pound cake or white cake, but both would change the flavor profile.  That to be said, I'm sure it would be great with both and plan on trying it soon!!!

Instead of the french vanilla pudding, consider adding lemon instead.   I LOVE the lemon/strawberry combo SO MUCH!!!!  

Any other ideas?!  

The best thing about a trifle is that they're SO easy to make...and they look pretty, too!  You can do pretty much anything with a trifle and the slightest of changes will give you a whole new dessert!!!  

SO GOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Hahah, oh man, I've never heard a story with the potential to turn out bad, actually have a positive ending. Well, you live and learn. At least it didn't completely turn your family against eating shortcake of any kind.

    ReplyDelete