Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A Copycat....I Think?!?!?!?

I'm a girl who likes taking breaks.  CLEARLY.  Taking a little step back from the blog is necessary from time to time.  Especially when life gets a little crazy....hence my recent weeklong {& then some} hiatus.

I spent few days in Franklin, TN last week for a conference where I was presenting.  Franklin might be my new favorite place in the U.S.  I fell in love with Nashville last year and this year I couldn't get enough of Franklin {even though I was only there for a few days}.  Tennessee is trying to take me away from Texas.  I swear.

Is this not the most charming downtown you've ever seen?!?!  And look at those leaves!!!  We don't get the luxury of colors here on the coast.  It's either green, crunchy brown, or bare :)  I was ecstatic to see so many different colors in the trees!!!!



I met up with some friends while I was in town and we headed out for a little shopping downtown and then a most delicious dinner at Gray's on Main.  Chicken & Waffles.  Creole Mac & Cheese.  My taste palate couldn't have been happier.  My pants?!  Notsomuch.  I pulled out the elastic band for the pants the morning after.  There's nothing quite like a food hangover in the form of ill fitting pants and a muffin top :)  If you've never been, you MUST go!!!  Amazing service, perfect atmosphere, and the food is just...well...perfection on a plate!  Did I mention the Sweet Tea Banana Pudding we shared for dessert??  HELLO.  SO good!  If I wasn't worried about looking like the lush at the table, I would've devoured my very own mason jar full of it in NO time!   My waistline was thanking me for showing a little restraint :)




All that to be said, I sure couldn't wait to get back home and see my little family.  And crazy enough, I couldn't wait to get back in the kitchen.  I love it when other people cook for me {eating out might be my favorite pasttime}, but I sure love cooking for myself even more. Don't get me wrong.  I could eat gourmet chicken & waffles every night of my life {sad, but true}, but there's something to be said for a home-cooked meal.  Wouldn't you agree that home-cooked meals from mom are the best?!  Even when it's just a sandwich?!!??!  

This soup was the perfect homecoming meal.  I can't even say enough.  It's a copycat soup, but I have NO idea how close I came to the real thing because I've never had the real thing to begin with :)  I typically stick to the pasta when I frequent the OG, but I clearly need to branch out!

ZUPPA TOSCANA

6 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
2-4 cups of kale {I used 3 1/2}
5 red potatoes, cut into small bite-sized chunks
2 tsp. olive oil
1 lb. hot Italian sausage
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes {or more...depending on your heat preference}
salt & pepper, to taste



First up, let's brown the sausage.  Heat 2 tsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium/high heat.  Toss in the sausage, onion, & garlic.  Cook until the sausage is browned, remove from heat, and drain.  Transfer the sausage/onion/garlic to a dutch oven/large stockpot. 

Chop up your kale...or if you're like me, just leave it whole!...then toss it into the stockpot/dutch oven.  Cover with chicken broth and potatoes.  Then toss in the red pepper flakes and mix well.

Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer {covered} for about 20-25 minutes.  Pour in the heavy whipping cream, mix well, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.  

Ladle yourself a heaping bowl and top with shaved parmesan cheese.  


YUM!!!!



Like I said before, I have no idea how close I came to the "real thing", but either way, this is pretty dang good!  Mr. Spouse loved it.  I'm pretty sure he really just loved me being home more than anything and dinner was an added bonus.  You know, instead of him having to cook for himself and the boys for those three nights I was gone, I was able to take over the domestic duties once again ;)  

Seriously though, he really did love it!  This was a great home-cooked meal...hearty, flavorful, you name it.  If you aren't as big a fan of potatoes, just cut back on the number you toss in or delete them altogether.  I **highly** suggest including them.  And as many as you can :)  

I say this with every soup I try and make, but this is one of my new favorites :)  I'm looking forward to making this part of our regular dinner rotation once the weather starts getting a little bit cooler.  If you haven't tried this one just yet, I highly suggest trying it soon!!  Or as soon as it starts getting cool :)



3 comments:

  1. Well it definitely LOOKS like the OG zuppa toscana! That's definitely one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish. I just copycatted the OG Gnacci soup off the interwebs, and I think it is the cream that made it spot on! Copying yours this weekend. Pinterest led me here, btw, great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder how half and half would be in it? I always have that on hand as opposed to heavy cream.

    ReplyDelete