Monday, January 13, 2014

The Meal That Rendered Me Speechless

There are times when I’m completely and utterly speechless. Granted, those moments are few and far between, but when they do happen food is usually involved.   And not just because I’m too busy stuffing my face to talk.  This recipe looked too good to pass up and I was so happy the list of ingredients and prep time didn’t scare me away.  One bite in and I was speechless.  Completely and totally speechless.  This is, hands down, one of the most flavorful meals I’ve ever eaten or even cooked for that matter!  I’m usually one for the quick prep and minimal clean up type meals, but this was worth every.single.second spent in the kitchen. 

CARNITAS AVOCADO PIZZA

via Damn Delicious

2 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. oregano

1 tsp. kosher salt

3-4 lbs. chuck roast

2 Tbsp. canola oil

2 & 1/2 Cups orange juice

1 Tbsp. olive oil

1 onion, thinly sliced

1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced

1 jalapeno, thinly sliced

1 premade pizza crust {I used Boboli.  You could make your own, but that was just another step I didn’t want to take}

1 Cup tomatillo salsa

12 oz. mozzarella, cut in tiny chunks

2 green onions, diced

diced avocado

Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise

1-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

1 avocado, pitted & chopped

1/4 Cup mayonnaise

1/4 Cup Greek yogurt

juice of 1 lime

1/4 tsp. salt

 

I know, I know.  Seems like a lot.  And it is.  But TRUST me when I say it’s totally worth it. 

carnitapizza1

Not really sure why that bottle of Lawry’s marinade made it into the picture, but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with this recipe, so just ignore it!  Moving right along…

Let’s go ahead and get your meat ready first.  You’ll wanna make this about 3-4 hours ahead of time.  This slab of meat is meant to be slow roasted…and OH so delicious.  First let’s take the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and kosher salt and mix it up. 

carnitapizza3

Then go ahead and rub that spice mix ALL.OVER the meat.  Oh my yum.

carnitapizza4

Pour the oil into a dutch oven…or large pot…and plop the meat on top.  Heat on med/high heat and lightly sear both sides of the chuck roast until it’s nice and brown {2 minutes, give or take}.

carnitapizza5

Now pour the orange juice on top and cover.  Let it roast for about 3-4 hours or until it’s tender and falling apart at the touch.

carnitapizza6

Before the meat is ready, go ahead and prep the rest of the pizza.  Grab your olive oil and heat it on the stovetop.  Then go ahead and add your jalapeno, onion, and bell pepper to the skillet.  Cook on medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes or until the veggies are tender.

carnitapizza9

As the peppers are a’cookin’, you’ll wanna prep the pizza crust.  Now you could definitely make your own crust, but ain’t nobody got time for that.  SO I bought a Boboli.

carnitapizza8

Set the crust on a pizza pan and top it with the tomatillo salsa.  I had to improvise.  My grocery store doesn’t carry such greatness, so I had to mix my own and here’s what I used.

carnitapizza2 carnitapizza7

Now spread the salsa all over the pizza crust. Notice the edge I left around the perimeter.  You’ll wanna leave a nice little edge for the crust.

carnitapizza12

Then top with the sliced mozzarella.  As you can see, I wasn’t afraid to pile it on thick.

carnitapizza13

The remove the veggies from the stovetop and spread on top of the mozzarella.  Salivating yet?!

carnitapizza14

Now bake according to package directions, remove, and set aside.  By now, your roast should be tender and falling apart.  Go ahead and shred the meat and evenly spread across the top of the pizza.

carnitapizza15 carnitapizza16

Now here’s where you’ll want to go ahead and make the chipotle avocado mayonnaise.  Add the chipotle peppers, mayo, yougurt, lime juice, salt and avocado to the blender.

carnitapizza10 carnitapizza11

Puree until nice and creamy.  I went ahead and put this little concoction into a little condiment dispenser {squirt bottle} so that I could drizzle it on top of the meat.  I’m so fancy.

Speaking of meat, let’s get back to the pizza.  Top the meat with the diced green onions and chopped avocado.  Y’all.  I added a very GENEROUS helping of avocado because I love it thismuch

carnitapizza17

And don’t forget to drizzle the chipotle avocado mayonnaise all over the top.  I swear it makes the meal!!!!  Don’t leave it out!!

carnitapizza18

OH.MY.YUM!!! {Did I say that already?!?!?}

Can you see why I was speechless?!  My taste buds were exploding.  Absolutely and totally TO DIE FOR.  Just don’t plan on making this for company…you’ll wanna keep this all for yourself!!!

carnitapizza19

11 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Yum! This looks incredible. Can't wait to try it.
    Question though... I've never slow roasted anything... haha. After you add the OJ, do you turn it to low for 3-4 hours? Could this be done in a crock pot? THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that sounds amazing! I will have to give it a try on a weekend when I have some time. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are still in Houston, you need to try Wright's Salsa. It is locally made and only sold in HEB (I think). Their green salsa is to die for. It has chunks of cucumber and avocado in it! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks outstanding! That. Is. All.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! Keep posting...love all your recipes & always waiting for new ideas!! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for you to be blogging on here again! I have missed your posts! This looks so yummy! Everything I have made from your blog has been an instant hit (especially enchilada pasta!) Thanks again and am looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy! I am so glad you started posting again...I love your blog and every recipe I have made that you share has been a total hit with my family and friends...(especially enchilada pasta which I get constant requests for from everyone that has tried it!) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please come back and start posting! I love your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You havent posted in forever! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking this would be a perfect dinner for my fiance's birthday! He would love it!! Thanks for sharing :)

    Alyssa
    cupcakesandsequins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete