Tuesday, July 2, 2013

For The Kid In Us

No matter how old I get, I will always love grilled cheese sandwiches.  My most favorite are the grilled cheese sandwiches my mom used to make for us growing up.  They were nothing particularly special, but they were made by MOM and well, everything made by mom always tastes better.  Now that summer is upon us, I’m whippin’ up grilled cheese sandwiches left and right for these two little crazies…

summerlovin2

In our house, we refer to grilled cheese sandwiches as “cheese tobies”.  Did y’all know that in certain parts of the midwest Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are called “Cheese Toasties”?!?  When my oldest was a couple of years old, we were visiting our midwest family and he wanted a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch.  Mr. Spouse insisted we call them “cheese toasties” but my oldest could only say “cheese toby”.  Since then, we’ve always called our grilled cheese sandwiches “Cheese Tobies”.  And I love that that little moniker stuck because not only is it precious, but it’s fun to say, too.  But I digress…

Even though I love the old tried and true grilled cheese sandwich, I’m always looking for ways to spice it up a bit.  I found this recipe from Six Sister’s Stuff and it inspired me to add some of my most favorite ingredients to our Cheese Tobies…hence, the Grown Up Grilled Cheese.  The perfect summer sandwich!

GROWN UP GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
2 slices sourdough bread
olive oil OR butter {for spreading}
2-4 slices of bacon, cooked
3-4 slices of avocado {more…or less…depending on your preference}
3-4 slices of deli style turkey, shaved thin
Shredded cheddar cheese {as much…or as little…as you prefer}

grownupgrilledcheese1

Let me just say that adding a few tomato slices would be amazingly tasty in this little number as well.  However, Mr. Spouse isn’t the biggest fan, so I left ‘em out.  Now, go ahead and brush one side of two pieces of Sourdough bread with olive oil or butter.  These will be the “grilled” sides.  Grease your pan with nonstick cooking spray and turn up the heat.  Lay the brushed side of the bread in the pan and start stacking the ingredients…shredded cheddar, turkey, bacon, avocado. 

grownupgrilledcheese2

Let it grill for a few minutes then add shredded cheddar to the top of the avocados and place the other slice of bread {dry side down} on top.  Turn your sandwich over and allow time for the other slice of bread to brown and grill.

grownupgrilledcheese3

Once both sides of the sandwich are evenly browned, remove from the pan and slice in half.  Then DEVOUR.  Because you will.  Every.single.bite.  While this might be a “grown up grilled cheese sandwich”, it definitely appeals to the taste buds of the kid in all of us :)

grownupgrilledcheese4

14 comments:

  1. We LOVE grilled cheese sandwiches at our house! I must try this grown up version! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! This looks SO good Cara!!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! i want this right now!

    http://scarlettmoonblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! I can't wait to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara these look great. Bacon makes everything better. We found Chef Shamy basil, garlic, parmesan butter at Sams and have used it almost everyday for grilled cheese. My teenager is in love with it.
    Tammy
    Primary Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH that looks amazing! I want one NOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum, I like to put pepperoni on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE me some grilled cheese! Awesome post. I love your blog, I always use it when I don't know what to make for dinner. Your directions are easy to follow and I REALLY appreciate all the pictures you post along the way. Thanks for doing what you do!

    http://newklyk.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Minus the avocado, that looks delicious! Kinda makes me want to go fix a regular ol grilled cheese (fresh out of bacon) right now at 10:15 at night! Love your family's name for them, too! My son couldn't say Italian beef when he was younger and instead called it Tally beef and it stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks absolutely amazing! Going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this sandwich! I tried it a tiny bit different and it was DELICIOUS! Check it out :) Thank you for all your FABULOUS ideas!

    Alyssa
    cupcakesandsequins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete