Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kitchen Magic

Y’all know how much I LOVE me some Paula Deen.  And if you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that I LOVE seafood, too.  What do you get when you combine my two favorites?!?!  Kitchen magic, my friends.  Kitchen magic.  There was definitely something magical happening to my taste buds when I tried this little dish.  I’ve been terrified to try and make my own crab cakes, but I couldn’t have been more pleased about how these turned out. Magical indeed!!!

PAULA DEEN’S CRAB CAKES
1 lb. crab meat, free of shells
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
3 green onions {green AND white parts}, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
flour, for dusting
1/2 cup canola oil
DSC_0384
Doesn’t look near as intimidating as it sounds, does it?!  You can see I took a little shortcut.  The little grocery store here in town doesn’t have fresh seafood behind the counter, so I opted for the lump crabmeat from VanCamp’s instead ;)
Mix all of the ingredients {except for the oil and flour} together in a bowl and stir until well combined.
DSC_0393

DSC_0395
Shape the crab mixture into little patties.  Depending on how firm you want your patties to be, you may want to add more…or less…crushed crackers.  Lightly dust the tops and bottoms of your patties with flour.
DSC_0398
Now heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  When the oil is hot & ready, place the patties in the skilled and fry on one side for about 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.  Carefully turn the patty over on the opposite side and fry for an additional 4-5 minutes..or until golden brown. 
DSC_0400
I don’t always have the best luck when it comes to frying.  The food either gets burned to a crisp or I wind up with 2nd degree oil burns.  All that to be said, this couldn’t have turned out more *perfect*, ifIdosaysomyself
DSC_0403
We paired our little heaven cakes with a mixture of cocktail and remoulade sauces and BOOM…kitchen magic.  I just can’t say it enough.  These were SENSATIONAL and definitely would’ve been worth the oil burns ;)  Can’t wait to make ‘em again!

11 comments:

  1. I don't like crab but these look yummy, do you think they would work well with shrimp instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm....that's a good question! I'm thinking that would affect the consistency of the patty and maybe not hold up as well for cooking/frying. Just a thought :)

      Delete
  2. We went to Savannah this past summer but didn't end up eating at her restaurant. I bet it's good!!

    Megan
    Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
    Mrs. Wheeler TpT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those look awesome! I've always been afraid to try making crab cakes, too, but I think you've just inspired me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest follower! Katie Knight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my these look so good. I love any and all of PD's recipes. I am definitely going to be pinning and trying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was delish!!! :) I added a little bit of Old Bay Seasoning... and I can't stop eating them! Currently trying to stay out of my kitchen! Ha! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete