Saturday, December 24, 2011

Salad Lovers Look No Further.

Not sure about y’all, but I sure love me some salads.  As cliché as it is for a girl to order one when she goes out to eat, I swear I do ALL the dang time.  Not because I’m trying to watch my waist, but I really prefer eating salad!!!  As much as I love the salad varieties on restaurant menus, I have to say that THIS salad is…hands down…my absolute FAVORITE.  Salad lovers look no further.  I swear this is the only recipe you’ll ever need!!!!

 

PEPERONCINI CHOPPED SALAD

Salad Ingredients:

4-6 cups chopped romaine or Herbed lettuce {I used the herbed lettuce already packaged up & chopped in the prepackaged salad section}

1 cup sliced peperoncini {you can buy these already sliced OR you can slice them yourself}

1 red bell peper, sliced into thin strips

1 tub crumbled Feta cheese {use as much or little as you prefer}

Grilled chicken, cut into strips {optional}

 

Dressing Ingredients:

1 tsp. dried oregano

1/2 tsp. minced garlic {I use the chopped garlic in a bottle}

3 tablespoons white wine vinegar

1 tablespoon Peperoncini brine {the juice from the peperoncini jar}

6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil {I used Bertoli…my fave :)}

salt & pepper, to taste

 

In the last month, I’ve made this salad about 6-7 times.  Each time it gets better and better. These ingredients have become staples in my pantry.

pepperoncinifetasalad1

First start by adding the lettuce to a large bowl.  Cut your red pepper into strips and slice your peperoncini {or take ‘em right out of the jar if you bought ‘em pre sliced} and toss with the lettuce.

pepperoncinifetasalad3  pepperoncinifetasalad4

Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. 

pepperoncinifetasalad2

This dressing is the bomb.com.  {Don’t judge me for using that phrase.} 

Now add the dressing to the lettuce mix and toss around until well coated.  Then go ahead and toss in the feta.  The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of crumbled feta, but I’m a feta lovin’ fool so I added the whole tub :)  You go ahead and decide what’s best for you!

I went ahead and tossed in some grilled chicken…cooked on my fabulous George Foreman…and it made the PERFECT dinner salad!!!  Definitely filling enough as an entrée! 

pepperoncinifetasalad5

I seriously can’t say enough about this salad.  The flavors are TO DIE FOR.  For real.  And if you’re a fan of feta like me, then you’ll be **12 kinds** of happy.  I can’t get over how amazing this really is!!!  If you’re lookin’ to lose those dreaded extra 15lbs. as one of your NY resolutions, you can add this salad to your dinner rotation.  It’s low in sugar & carbs.  Infact, this is one of those recipes from Kalyn’s Kitchen and used in the first phase of the South Beach Diet.  Don’t knock it ‘til ya try it…that diet is the BEST!!!!!!  When I made this salad for dinner the first time, Mr. Spouse could not stop raving.  That’s all he had to do to give me the go ahead to have it every week since then :)  And I don’t see this goin’ off the menu any time soon!!   SO dang good!!!!

8 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Pepperocini is my favorite!! I am making this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds DELICIOUS. If it wasnt Christmas Eve and we didn't have a HUGE family dinner happening in about 2 hours, i'd totally go make one right now.

    You can guarantee one on Monday though! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I haven't had a vegetable not covered in some sort of cream sauce since being home for Christmas, so this salad looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AMAZING!!! I have made this at LEAST 6 times now and hubby is even liking it!! I am now going to buy a VERY LARGE jar of peperoncini and need to pick up several red peppers for the week. This is such a great salad to take for lunch!! Thank you!
    Love your recipes :)

    -Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This salad is AMAZING. Just made it with the Creamy Chicken Avocado Salad and I think it was one of the best meals I ever made! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure why I am just seeing this now, but so glad you enjoyed it! My family loves this salad too.

    ReplyDelete