Friday, August 5, 2011

Speedy & Savory…What’s NOT To Love?!

I’m all about quick, speedy meals.  Now don’t get me wrong…I’ll spend more time than necessary if I’m tryin’ something new…and I don’t always go for quick & easy…but for the most part, the speedier the better.  I was SHOCKED at how unbelievably easy & quick…not to mention AWESOMESAUCE…this recipe was.  Holy quickness!  When Mr. Spouse and I sat down to eat, he was all, “BEST.MEAL.EVER.”  And honestly, I’d have to agree.  I know I say that about almost everything I eat, but dang y’all…this is amazing.  I’d for sure put this on my list of top 10 meals!!!  Because seriously…speedy AND savory?!  What’s NOT to love?!?!?!

 

CREAMY AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD

from:  The Cheeky Kitchen

1 chicken breast, cooked & shredded

1/4 cup black beans, drained & rinsed {I used more}

1/4 cup corn {I used more}

1/4 cup green onions, chopped

1/4 cup tomatoes, diced

1/4 cup cilantro {I left this out!!}

1/4 tortilla chips or fritos, crushed {I used Santita’s tortilla chips}

2 tbsp. white vinegar

4 tbsp. mayo

Salt, to taste

2-4 avocados, sliced in half & pitted

 

Combine the chicken, beans, corn, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and tortilla chips into a medium bowl.  I left out the cilantro because it’s not my favorite flavor. 

avocadochickensalad1

Toss it around just a bit…

avocadochickensalad2

Looks pretty much amazing without the rest of the ingredients.  But just for giggles, let’s go ahead and add the vinegar & mayo.  Mix until well combined.

avocadochickensalad3

While you’re salivating over the ridiculousness of this dish, slice & pit your avocados.  And go ahead and sneak a bite….or three…of the mix.  OMG…are you loving it yet?!

avocadochickensalad4

Now scoop a VERY generous portion of the chicken salad onto both halves of the avocado.

avocadochickensalad

And VOILA!  You’re ready to eat!!  I know this doesn’t look like much, but trust me when I say it’s very filling!!  And it’s not the kinda filling that makes you wanna unbutton your pants and lay on the couch for an hour after you’re finished eating.  It’s unbelievably satisfying!  Of course, you’ll eat this with a fork and make sure to scoop out the avocado with each bite.  My.word. 

avocadochickensalad5

I made this a couple of weeks ago and it’s already back in the dinner rotation.  This would be an awesome little somethin’ to make for lunch, too!!  Mr. Spouse and I each ate 1 avocado full of chicken salad and just had a teensy bit leftover, so I would say this makes enough for two….depending on your portion size, of course :)  If you’re looking for something speedy & savory, look no further!!!! 

8 comments:

  1. We pretty much had that same thing for dinner tonight (a crockpot recipe I found on pinterest) but it didn't have the mayo or vinegar. I served it with avocado, though...
    I love this take, and the kids would love eating something out of an actual avocado!
    (I pinned this to my dinner board!)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Mandy
    firstgradetothecore

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really good to fill the avacodos with chicken, tuna or shrimp salad as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try this but what does the vinegar do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think this would work if I chopped up the avacado and mixed into the salad? I want to stuff into a pita for a picnic lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I actually make this about every 2 weeks because we love it so much and for a hint this is what we do..I don't put it in the avocado like you did I just mix everything thing and instead of corn chips we put it in a taco shell. So great and a different idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg! I made this my self and it was awesome! My husband loved it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete