Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A “Gourmet” Crock Pot Meal

So…school just started back up on Monday and talk about being TIRED.  Wow.  Don’t get me wrong…I love being back in a routine…but I am spent by the end of the day.  The last thing I want to do right now is spend hours in the kitchen when I could be spending time being worn out by my boys.  Ummm…actually, an hour or so of *quiet* time in the kitchen is sounding kinda good.  HA!   If you’re anything like me, you are ALL about putting your crock pot to good use while you’re at work.  I’m ALL over it.  For real.  And it’s even better when your crock pot meal tastes “gourmet”.  That’s pretty much how we felt when we had this little number. File this under “Gourmet Crock Pot Meals”…it definitely tastes like one!

 

SLOW COOKER ANGEL CHICKEN

adapted from Cleverly Inspired

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 8oz. pkg. baby bella sliced mushrooms

1 can condensed golden mushroom soup

1 stick of butter

1 pkg. dry Italian salad dressing mix

1/2 cup chicken broth

1/2 of an 8oz. tub of cream cheese spread with chive & onion

rice or pasta

 

Not too many ingredients.  Just like I like it…

slowcookerangelchicken1

The original recipe called for white wine instead of chicken broth and two different types of mushrooms.  Good ol’ Wal Mart only had these baby bellas on hand and I didn’t have any white wine available that I wanted to waste on food :)  HA!

First things first…

Melt butter in a saucepan and add the Italian salad dressing packet.  Stir in the soup, chicken broth, and cream cheese until it combines and melts.

slowcookerangelchicken3

Place the mushrooms on the bottom of your crock pot and place the chicken breasts on top. 

slowcookerangelchicken2

Pour the sauce mix on top of the chicken, cover with lid, and cook on low for 5 hours!!!! 

slowcookerangelchicken4

Can you smell the deliciousness?!?!?!  I completely forgot to take a picture of the yumminess, but you’ll serve over cooked rice or angel hair pasta.  We had ours with rice because we just happen to have it on hand.  However, it would’ve been AMAZING over pasta!!!! 

If you’re lookin’ to impress Mr. Spouse and spend an insanely SHORT amount of time in the kitchen, whip this one up as soon as you get a chance!!  This is definitely a crock pot meal you need in  your arsenal!

11 comments:

  1. This is such a dumb question, I'm sure...but I never quite understand crock pot meals. If you cook it for five hours on low, can you overcook it? I leave for work at 7 and we wouldn't eat till almost 6. Is that too long to cook it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. Yes, I am all about letting my slow cooker do the work for me! I think I'll give this one a try next week on one of our really busy day/evenings. Thanks so much for sharing!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you group up all the ingredients and take a picture of what you used. It makes it so much easier to copy the recipes(: Btw, new follower here and I'm using some of your recipes this coming week. So excited!(: I got to your site via Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we made this yesterday and because we got home from soccer so late, i didn't have time for the pasta or rice to cook before i lost my little men. we put it on fresh tortillas and it was so yummy. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made this tonight with rice. It was supper yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spend so much time on the teacher blogs (stalking...although I hate that word)...that I almost forgot about this fabulous blog! Can't wait to make this so my fam doesn't have to eat the same "boring" meals over and over! How DO you find the time Cara?:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so yummy that I am making it for a "Mom's Night In" this week. Hope they love it as much as I do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your recipe was the first one I trying in my new crockpot. It was AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe tastes WONDERFUL, especially to an 8 month pregnant woman. I had the leftovers at 9:46am this morning. haha Next time, I think I'll try it sans butter and see what happens. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made this tonight...loved by all!!! Very easy and yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My crockpot knob broke the other day and yesterday I made stew beef in it and had to use a pr. of pliars to move the knob. Think I need to buy a new crockpot! This looks like a simple, yet delicious recipe..the kind I like! There's only us two Sr. Citizens here, so couldn't I slice the left over chicken up to use as sandwiches the next day? With just the two of us here, I find we waste a lot of food we never finish up as leftovers.

    ReplyDelete