Thursday, March 18, 2010

Italian Enchiladas

Sounds weird, right?!  Well, these aren’t really Italian, per se, but my very Italian great-grandma used to make these ALL THE TIME and they are DElicious!  My sweet little Maw-Maw was an AMAZING cook…like the kinda cook that would make pasta from scratch…seriously.  She was about the cutest thing you’ve ever seen and I miss her like crazy.  Thank goodness we still make lots of her recipes because I always feel like there’s a little bit of Maw-Maw in every dish.  This is one of our favorite Maw-Maw recipes.  No family secrets here :)  I’m sure you’ve made the same thing at your house, too!

 

MAW-MAW’S ENCHILADAS

Corn tortillas

Vegetable Oil

Shredded cheddar cheese

1 can of chili, no beans {I used Wolf Brand}

Onions, chopped {optional}

 

Mr. Spouse isn’t the biggest fan of corn tortillas, so we did a little half & half mix here with flour & corn…even though I tried to explain that enchiladas are typically made with corn tortillas :) 

Enchiladas2

Anywho…pour enough vegetable oil into a frying pan to cover the bottom.  Heat oil on medium high heat and {using tongs} add 1 tortilla at a time...and not at the same time!    DON’T fry it, just lightly crisp it :)  Cook on one side for 3-4 seconds, flip it over, and cook on the other side for 3-4 seconds.  This part of the meal takes NO time at all!!!  Take the tortillas out of the oil and place on a towel to dry.  After I’m finished -with all the tortillas, I’ll pat them dry if they haven’t air-dried :)

Now, add cheese to one side of the tortilla.  You’re going to roll them up, so add as much as you want so long as it’s not impossible to roll!

Enchiladas3 

Place the tortilla in a baking dish {seam down}.  We only made 4 enchiladas, so we used an 8x8.  This has NO relevance to the recipe…just thought you’d wanna know ;0

Enchiladas4

Enchiladas5 

Cover enchiladas with a can of chili, more or less depending on your preference.  Top with chopped onions.  I LOVE onions.  I seriously think it’s what makes the meal!!! 

Enchiladas7 Enchiladas1

Bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes and remove from heat.

Enchiladas8

Serve & enjoy!  Y-U-M!!!!!

Enchiladas6

There are SO many ways you could vary this dish to suit your taste :)  We served these at a party one time and added ground beef & cheese to one tray & shredded chicken & cheese to another.  They were DEVOURED in no time!!  If it’s just me & Adam, I skip the meat and just go with the cheese…SO much faster!  We always have these ingredients on hand so we’re used to eating these weekly!!!  If you’re not a fan of chili {wha?!?!?!}, use queso instead…even better, use them BOTH!!  Mmmmm….Add these little bundles to your dinner rotation and you won’t be disappointed! 

2 comments:

  1. Made these for lunch today...YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try all of these dishes. I am not sure how I managed to stble across your site, but I am glad I did.

    ReplyDelete