Monday, January 25, 2010

The Edible Purse

When Mr. Spouse & I first started dating, I SO tried to wow him with my domestic prowess.  The thing was, I had none.  One day I was watching Sandra Lee make these yum banana purses and I was all, “TOO easy!  I’ll make these for boyfriend tonight!”  So I did.  And much to my dismay, he wasn’t a fan.  Much like the dishes from my early dating days, I haven’t made that one since.  For whatever reason, I had a serious craving for them the other day and just HAD to have them!!  I must have come a long way in my domestic journey because not only did Mr. Spouse LOVE them, but he swears I never made these for him before.  I’m glad he didn’t remember my first go ‘round :) 

BANANA PURSES

3 bananas, peeled & thinly sliced

1/4 cup maple syrup

1 pkg. frozen puff pastry, 2 sheets, thawed {I used the puff pastry shells, not sheets…much easier!}

1 tbsp. sugar

1 tsp. ground cinnamon

2 tbsp. whole milk

Preheat oven to 400.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with PAM.  Slice your bananas…

banana purse1

In a medium bowl, combine bananas & syrup.  Mash bananas slightly with a fork and mix well with syrup.  I know it doesn’t sound very good, but TRUST ME.  The combo is AMAZING!!!

banana purse2

Now…here’s where I veered off from the original recipe.  I used puff pastry shells instead of cutting the sheets to size.  Make sure they’re thawed before you start!  Take a pastry brush and coat the top of the shells with milk.  If you don’t have a pastry brush, just use a spoon and spread the milk evenly.

banana purse3  

In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon & sugar and sprinkle on top of pastries.

banana purse4

Spoon the banana/syrup mix on top of the cinnamon/sugar. 

banana purse5

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  Mr. Spouse said that was the best part ;)

banana purse6

I’m tellin’ you guys…this is seriously the BEST dessert ever!!!  We BOTH loved it!!!  As you can see, this recipe makes A LOT….especially if you go the easy route and use the shells instead of sheets.  We had LOTS of the banana/syrup mix leftover, so I put it in tupperware, refrigerated it, and then pulled it out for dessert the next night!  Still JUST as good!!  Not to mention, super quick & easy !  You could definitely scale down the recipe to make a lot less if you needed,  but I promise you won’t want to!!!

1 comment:

  1. i seriously just cracked up at, "When Mr. Spouse & I first started dating, I SO tried to wow him with my domestic prowess. The thing was, I had none."

    i still have no domestic prowess. after 16 years. oof.

    friend...these look YUMMY! i will definintely be trying those asap!

    and just for the record...i think you're VERY domestic! :)

    ReplyDelete