Monday, January 6, 2014

Happy New Year! And A Christmas Flashback

Hello friends!  I sure have missed this little space of the internet. 

I’ve missed sharing recipes.

And décor.

And random ramblings about nothing important. 

I only have one New Year resolution.  To be HAPPY.  I am.  Truly.  At least 99.9% of the time, I’m VERY happy.  Life’s too short to be anything but happy.  I just want to do MORE of the things that make me…and those around me…happy.

So I’m starting with this blog. 

I love it here and I’m coming back to start blogging more. 

Life is crazy so I’m definitely not promising to blog everyday. 

But I’m coming back.

Maybe even with a new blog design that doesn’t blind you when you read {if you’re even still reading!!!}

In the meantime, I’m gonna flashback to Christmas and share a few of my Christmas decorations.  Technically I’m not really flashing back because I’ve yet to take any of them down.  I heard that the season isn’t technically over ‘til today…January 6th…Epiphany…the day the Magi visited baby Jesus, so I’m goin’ with that.  I’m not sayin’ I’ll take anything down today, but at least I have an excuse for keeping them up this long.  I know I’m not alone.

This Christmas I bought us new stockings and decided to simplify the mantel.  I sorta love the way it all turned out.  After trying {very unsuccessfully} to convince my husband that I NEEDED this print from Lindsay Letters, I ended up *trying* to recreate a less skilled version of my own to hang above the fireplace.  Not perfect, but it works! Maybe next year {sigh}.

christmas21  christmas22

I had to put my little apothecaries to good use and the housed a lot of extras for me.  I’m just happy they made it through the holidays without breaking as a result of projectile objects from my boys.

christmas23christmas24  christmas25
I have a thing for Santas.  I try adding more and more to my collection every year.  These are some of my favorites.  I had a set of glittery, skinny Santas on that same table last year and they shattered into a million pieces when my boys started riding their scooters in the house.  Whoops!
christmas26 christmas28
I found this great set of 12 shutters on Craigslist several years ago and bought them for a whopping $25!  Best purchase I ever made!  I spray painted two of them red and now use them for our Christmas card display.  We received several more after I took these pics and they’re currently sitting on the little table.  Not my best effort.
christmasdecor1 christmasdecor2
I became a little obsessed with the deco mesh this year and love the way it turned out!  It’s such a great “filler!!!”
christmasdecor3 christmasdecor4
We even added a new tree to our kitchen.  It’s flocked and I’m in love.
christmas29 christmas30
We have these fabulous built-ins on either side of our fireplace, but I never quite know how to decorate them.  They’re just a huge hodge podge of clutter and chaos, but I sort of love them.  My mother-in-law gives each of her kids & their families a new Santa {Possible Dreams} every year.  This has become the most anticipated gift of the season.  I love getting these every year.  She does the BEST job of picking out Santas that fit our families to a T!  This year we got an “ugly sweater” Santa because we throw Ugly Sweater Christmas parties every year.  I love them!!!
christmasdecor7christmasdecor8
I tried adding *tiny* touches of Christmas wherever I could.  Pretty simple, but it did the trick!christmasdecor6
These little decorate shelves sit in our kitchen right across from our newly flocked Christmas tree.  My Willow Tree nativity set is, hands down, my most favorite piece of Christmas décor.
christmasdecor9 christmasdecor10christmasdecor11
Our “big table” centerpiece.  christmasdecor14
Now to find a new chalkboard idea for the new year!!!christmasdecor15
Hope you enjoyed my little flashback!  I’ll be back….I promise!!!

23 comments:

  1. Your house should be in a magazine! Seriously, those decorations are beautiful. Love your blog and I am excited to see more of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and I have missed you too! Your recipes are always a hit with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! I've missed your decor and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've missed blogging!! Happy to be back!!!

      Delete
  4. My Christmas decor is still (half) standing too. :o) I think I MIGHT put away the tree tonight. :o) I love each and every one of your "Chalkboards"! They are too pretty.

    Oh, last post about the name of the blog...yeah, that gave me a great chuckle!!! :o) So happy you shared.

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you!! See...I knew I wasn't the only one ;)

      Delete
  5. I loved looking at all your beautiful décor. Looking forward to seeing more of you during the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely looking forward to getting back into the swing of things!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE all of your Christmas decor. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get your Christmas socks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all from Hobby Lobby :)

      Delete
    2. I bought the same Nativity this year! I thought it looked so sweet in the store!

      Delete
  8. Love reading this blog as much as the First Grade Parade! How do you get your chalkboard designs to look so nice? Envious of your penmanship...or chalkmanship?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love reading this blog as much as The First Grade Parade. Some of your recipes have made it into our every 2-3 week rotation of meals! How do you get your chalkboard designs to look so nice? Jealous of your penmanship...or chalkmanship!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this blog & First Grade Parade. Sad that your teaching kinder now when I teach 1st. I was also wondering the same thing about the penmanship on your chalkboards? Where do you find all of your
    chalkboards, designs for them, & do you spray them with something so they stay that way? Thanks, Jackie
    jmcmanam@w-sioux.k12.ia.us

    ReplyDelete
  11. ��all the decorations! Glad your back. L-O-V-E your recipes and decorating ideas!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Christmas decor! I �� your recipes too!! Glad you're back. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I'm a new follower, and I'm in love with your design style. I saw in one of your posts that you use the chalk markers, and I was wondering what brand you use because I have never gotten a chalk marker that actually comes off, unless there is some secret for removal that I am unaware of. Look forward to your tips! Thanks!!

    <3, Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    Love your decor and your chalk signs. Where did you find them? Or do you make them?

    ReplyDelete